Monday, October 22, 2012

Menu Monday and Weekend Recap

 Happy Monday, everybody! This past weekend was a busy one -- unfortunately I didn't get nearly enough 'responsible' tasks done, like laundry, my homework, or my housecleaning. However I definitely got a lot of the "fun" things crossed off my to-do list, such as:

1. Make a Caramel Apple Tart

Mine did not come out nearly as beautifully as Deb's, but it was certainly tasty and I got to take my new, totally-unnecessary-purchase mandolin out for a whirl. Plus, I got to learn firsthand why pastry chefs call hot caramel "edible napalm" due to a hot pan gone awry (as documented in this tweet.)

2. Go hiking in Great Falls National Park

When its a beautiful fall day in DC, it's only natural to head out to the wilderness to enjoy the amazing weather and fall colors.

Unfortunately, everyone else in DC will have that same idea. This is the line to enter the park.

It took us over 2 hours to complete a 30 minute trip to Great Falls Park in McLean, VA. However once we FINALLY arrived we made good use of our remaining daylight hours and saw some beautiful views as a result.




We hiked the River Trail, which follows the Potomac and has some truly spectacular views of the Falls.

We stopped on the way home for some fresh cider, then settled in for some dinner and our favorite TV night - Once Upon a Time, Revenge, and Boardwalk Empire!

Dinner - Chicken Milanese with Roasted Broccoli


In food-related news, here's what I had cooking this past week:

1. *Chili Baked Potato*

This was a great way to use up leftover chili, plus stretch a meal into two! We baked the potatoes until they were crispy, then added the chili and our toppings. It doesn't seem like a lot of food but the potato will fill you up fast. Plus when you use Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and low-fat cheese, it's really not too bad for you.

2. * Sausage-Stuffed Zucchini, courtesy of SkinnyTaste*


 These turned out to be a huge hit - they were delicious, a cinch to throw together, and infinitely adaptable.

3. *Jambalaya-like concoction, adapted from Beantown Prepster*

 Please excuse the photo, because this was probably the most delicious meal of the week. I started with MVB's recipe for Spicy Skillet Rice, but when I read over the recipe I thought to myself, "This looks sort of like jambalaya." I subbed chicken stock for the water, threw in chicken andouille sausage from Trader Joes, and added a TON of hot sauce -- the result was a pretty tasty substitute for Cajun cooking!

What have you been cooking lately?

xoxo,

b



















1 comment:

Walrus25 said...

I've only been eating Lean Cuisine and microwave popcorn... Sad Face.