As much as I try to deny it, this weekend certainly had the feel of a busy holiday season. Friday night we took it easy and decided to try out the new Jewish-deli inspired restaurant in Dupont Circle. Since Jewish deli food is hard to come by in this area (and it's one of my favorite cuisines, naturally), I'd been eagerly awaiting this place for some time now.
The verdict?
| Latkes with Apple Preserve and Creme Fraiche |
Yes. You read that right. Ham.
| The pastrami wannabe |
Saturday morning I ran errands, then joined some friends for another long-anticipated event:
This government major was highly impressed. My only quibble was that I wish I had read up on the 13th Amendment and the history surrounding it before going to the movie - I learned so much that I wish I had a little knowledge base going into the theater. That being said, that's my fault and not the movie's -- The makeup, acting, directing and writing were all spot-on. I'll definitely be going to see this one again.
After the movie I roasted some chicken for our dinner and tried out a new cooking technique that has very quickly become my new favorite word: SPATCHCOCK.
| Sorry, this looks kind of gross. But I wanted you to see how to do it for yourself. |
| Finished product |
I served it alongside roasted carrots and parsnips, which I'd never tried before but which were surprisingly delicious. We invited our friends over at the last minute (they live on the floor below me, which makes last-minute dinner invitations possible), and served everything with a few generous helpings of red wine.
Perhaps too generous, since I woke up Sunday reminding myself that opening a third bottle of wine is never, ever a good idea. After a revitalizing breakfast sandwich and trip to the Dupont farmer's market, I met up with some friends for a manicure and a pre-Thanksgiving spin class.
| Favorite coffee mug and my very first shellac manicure |
What have you been up to on your final weekend before the holiday season? Are you picky about your pastrami? Have you ever gotten a shellac manicure? Are you planning on spatchcocking any birds this week? Leave a comment and let me know!


2 comments:
I was WONDERING what that word was!!! I just know that process as 'butterflying', we've done it plenty a time, and it's AMAZING
Well I am totally going to try spatchcocking now! Or maybe just say it a lot. Fun stuff either way!
I am a HUGE fan of shellac manicures! I got mine done today actually, and am experiencing a major first world problem that I'm not sure about the color. OPI's You Don't Know Jacques is a little more purple than I thought....oh well. I'm stuck with it for 2 weeks!
Post a Comment