Thursday, December 6, 2012

Malbec, You Delicious Bastard

A few weeks ago, BHB wrote a post on life lessons that haven't sunk in yet. You know we all have them -- things you know, but when presented with the situation, you still do the opposite and think it'll be fine until the next day, when you are cursing yourself for your hangnail/poor dye job/you name it. At the time, I told her that my rule of thumb (does it count as a rule of thumb if I seem to never follow it?) is that depending on the situation, that 3rd glass, or 3rd bottle of wine, is almost never a good idea.

Last night I met my good friend Dan at Tel'Veh, a new wine bar near Mount Vernon Square. Since Dan's been working in the Southwest for the last few months, we had a lot to catch up on. Tel'Veh has a great happy hour special, which fortunately for me (or unfortunately, depending on how my headache is doing) included $6 wine specials. 

Anyway, I let Dan talk me into breaking my 3 drink rule, confident that now as a mature near-28 year old, I could handle it. It would be different this time.

...Which is how I wound up wide awake at 2:30 AM, watching the world's most annoying family on Property Brothers and nursing the mother of all red wine headaches.

Malbec, you are one delicious bastard.

2 comments:

MHM1314 said...

I, too, have a fabulous relationship with Malbec.... and Aleve

Betsy Transatlantically said...

the third glass is the gateway glass. it's the glass that says "YES YOU MAY HAVE A FOURTH AND A FIFTH." damn the third delicious glass.