Thursday, February 21, 2013

That Time We Signed a Lease

...........whew.

We are coming off a serious real estate whirlwind over here (in the best way possible).

SK and I both had Monday off of work, so we decided it would be the perfect time to start our apartment search. Neither of our leases are up until April, so this was really more of a fact-finding mission. Testing the waters. Dipping a toe in the water, so to speak.

(You all know where this is going, right?)

After an unsuccessful afternoon of searching, including some apartments that were outrageously out of our price range and one that could charitably be described as a construction site, we were beginning to feel despairingly about our search for the perfect Logan Circle apartment.

(To note, I'm the one that is picky about location, not SK.Guilty)

We were about to head in from the cold and call it a day when we remembered one last place that we'd looked at. In fact, we'd laughed about it, because they had already sent us a quote without us ever setting foot in the place.

We walked in without an appointment and met with the leasing staff, who informed us that the quote they'd sent us was actually a President's Day special and they couldn't hold it at that price until April. This is where I started thinking unkind thoughts about their staff in my head. Why would you send us a quote that wasn't applicable? They wanted us to sign a lease to move in immediately - a completely laughable idea.

Even after they showed us the apartment, I knew it would be out of our price range. I tried very hard not to fall in love with the closets (which are quite loveable.)

After our tour we sat down with the leasing agent, who asked us if there was anything she could do to get us to move in sooner. Almost simultaneously, SK and I said, "I don't know. Is there?"

Suffice to say......

Yes. Yes, there was quite a bit she could do for us.

I won't get into the details, but our leasing agent (who is actually quite lovely and I felt bad for thinking mean things about her at first) made the deal EXTREMELY worth our while.

So that's how we found ourselves signing a lease to a new apartment on Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after 'dipping our toes in the water.'

After signing there was a lot of "Holy crap did we really just do that??" and "Oh my God now we have three apartments" (in the true spirit of American excess) and "How did we become people who have a rule about shoes in the apartment?" (It's white carpet!)

So.....yeah! I'll post more about decor and moving and all that good stuff, but for now....

Holy crap. We signed a lease.

Yeah!




5 comments:

MHM1314 said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! This is your first place TOGETHER!?!?!? Mazel! This is such great news!!!

Jennifer said...

Congrats!!! Great news!!!

Ramblings of a Suburban Mom

Danavee said...

Congrats on finding a place!!!

If we ever replace our carpet, I will become one of those people!! ;)

lil desiqua said...

Your process sounds almost too easy- must have been one hell of a deal! That's so exciting!! Congrats!

Courtney B said...

Hahahaha! Isn't it ALWAYS the girl that is picky? I was just talking about this with one of my friends... our husbands want to rip out their hair because we are super picky about where we want to live. I just can't live in a dumb in a bad part of town JUST because it's cheap, you know?? :)
Congrats on finding a place together! What an exciting adventure for you two!