Since I got my Kindle last year, I have been reading the way I used to when I was in grade school -- which is to say,
incessantly. Coupled with my new DC library membership, I've been quite the little bookworm this summer. Here's what I've made my way through so far:
 |
| I thought this was an adorable story...not too long a read but an engaging story and characters. Quite British too! |
 |
| This is where my inner nerd shines through. I probably shouldn't put it on this list because I'm not done with it yet (it's a beast, and only the first in a trilogy) but I'm finding it really fascinating. I've written about my love for TR before, but this book gives a deeper look into a truly amazing American figure. Yup. You caught me. I'm a nerd. Highly recommend this one if you like politics/history. |
 |
| I didn't expect to like this one as much as I did...the story of twins growing up at a hospital in Ethiopia in the 60s and 70s. It starts off slow but it's a captivating story that I was thinking about long after I finished the book. | | |
|
 |
| This one probably deserves its own post. I saw the author speak in DC a few months ago and picked up the book on a lark. Basically Rachel Bertsche moved to Chicago after college knowing very few people and figured that she would make friends, but didn't anticipate how difficult that would be after college. She decided to actively work at making friends over the course of one year, and included research about the sociology and science of friendship. (She has a blog by the same name if you are curious to find out more.) I think that this is an especially timely subject for women my age (really of any age) and it's a subject that I've often struggled with. It gave me a new outlook on making friends and I found it extremely relatable. |
 |
| A book club pick. I know as a 20th century feminist I'm not supposed to like Hemingway and his machoism. However, I have sported a big literary crush on him ever since I read The Sun Also Rises in high school. Personal faults aside, you can't beat the man's prose. This book is told from the perspective of Hemingway's little-discussed first wife, Hadley, and gives an idea of what E.H. was like before he was famous. |
 |
| Another book club pick. Super creepy, super scary, and super addicting. I finished it in approximately 4 days because I absolutely could not stop reading it. I actually stayed up late reading, went to sleep, had a nightmare about it, woke up at 4am, and read it some more until I could get back to sleep. Worth the sleep-deprivation -- I think this is a perfect summer read. |
Since my vacation is coming up next week (3 days, not that anyone is counting), here's what I've picked out to bring on the trip and what's on my library wait list. If you've read any of these or have any other suggestions, let me know - I'm always looking for a new book!
 |
| (nerd alert # 2.) |
xoxox,
b
1 comment:
Hello! I found your blog through PinkLouLou. She answered one of your questions on her blog today! I just finished up reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It is a great read! I need to check out some of the books you mentioned!
Post a Comment