Thursday, December 1, 2011

Rasika Review

Last Christmas, Steve's dad gave me a homemade coupon for one dinner anywhere in DC on him. I finally cashed it in Tuesday night at Rasika -- yes, it took me nearly a year to use it.

For those of you not from DC: "The name "Rasika" is derived from Sanskrit language meaning "flavors". Rasika is a modern Indian restaurant which takes its inspiration from an age old approach to dining. This approach allows you to choose a variety of appetizers and entrees to share with your dining companions."

For those of you from DC (and if you like Indian food): Run, do not walk, to eat dinner here.

(I apologize in advance for the less-than-stellar phone photos...my one criticism of Rasika would be that it was a little too dark for my liking. Shh. If you listen closely, you can hear me turning into my father.)

We started with seared scallops and the crispy spinach appetizer. I'd heard from almost everyone that the spinach was the dish to get, and they didn't disappoint me. I wish I could describe it for you all, but I have absolutely no idea what they did to that spinach to make it taste that way.My guess is that it's fried (which is never a bad thing IMO.)


Scallops in spicy broth

Crispy Spinach (the star of the menu)

For our main course, Steve ordered lamb rogan josh and I got tandoori lobster. This was another unique dish - I would never think of lobster as Indian cuisine, and yet it was a completely delicious surprise. We also got a mixed bread basket with regular naan, onion and sage naan, and a bread with mint that neither of us had had before.

Near: Tandoori Lobster, Mixed Bread Basket
Far: Lamb Rogan Josh

I normally don't order dessert in restaurants -- I'm usually full by the end of dinner, and most places have totally over-the-top decadent desserts that are just too much for me. But since it was a special dinner we each went for a dessert.

Date and Toffee Pudding
Chocolate Samosa
I ordered the date and toffee pudding -- unfortunately I realized a little too late that they were using 'pudding' in the British sense, and it was really more like a cake. No matter - it was still completely delicious, and not so heavy that I felt overly full. Steve ordered the chocolate samosa, which reminded me of a really decadent French pastry -- stuffed full of gooey melted chocolate with light pastry around it.

The wine and service were also impeccable. It can be hard to get a reservation to Rasika - we waited over two weeks -- but it's absolutely worth the wait.

xoxo,

little b

2 comments:

Virginia Belle said...

I love Indian food so Rasika is now of my DC restaurant list. Thanks for the fantastic review!

Claris Leigh, RDN, LDN said...

that looks so delicious! the desert has my mouth watering!!

www.fooddiaryproject.blogspot.com :)