Monday, April 8, 2013

Menu Monday

Know what's super, super, SUPER expensive?

If you guessed "moving", you are CORRECT!

This is a roundabout way of telling you all that I'm making an extra-concerted effort to cook at home this week, use the stuff I've got in the pantry, and stay away from those tempting goodies at Trader Joe's. We've finally got the kitchen put away, so last week was our first foray into making a menu plan and sticking to it.

(Of course, after I planned it out, I realized that it was entirely inspired by Kate at Elefantitas Alegres. So she gets all the credit for this one.)

Wednesday
Southwestern Falafel with Quesadillas
 

This was the point when I thought that I would have a falafel failure.



Falafel SUCCESS!

   Thursday

 
What's that, you say? That does not appear to be a cup, but rather a pile of quinoa? Balderdash, I say!

No really, this was a structural failure but a culinary "pretty good." I wanted to find something that I could use as an end of the week vehicle for leftovers. It wound up pretty tasty, but could definitely use some improvements seasoning-wise. On the architectural side, I've got absolutely no idea where I went wrong, but I promise that Kate seems to always get hers to stay in one muffin-sized piece.

Friday
Broccoli-Stuffed Chicken (adapted from Skinnytaste)

Forgot to take a picture, but this was tasty and easy. I stupidly used the same spoon that I scooped the broccoli out of the food processor with to stuff the raw chicken breasts and wound up contaminating the leftovers. Don't be like me, because there was a whole bunch of broccoli-cheesy-garlicky deliciousness left over that I probably could have used creatively. 

Sunday
"Mad Men Mango Margaritas" and Portobello Mushroom Quesadillas

Again, forgot to take a picture, but I will definitely be making these margaritas again soon. They are not normally called Mad Men Margaritas, but when you drink alongside Don Draper things tend to get monikers. Also, you should probably go make one for yourself. Call it a Monday Mango Margarita, and then bring me one.


2 comments:

Pennylane14 said...

Omg, moving is a never-ending money pit. I thought selling/donating everything in Texas and replacing in DC would be cheaper than shipping. That sound you hear is the CEO of AmEx buying a new vacation home, courtesy of my purchases at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target. Gah.

MHM1314 said...

hey food twinsie, I made that rollatini last night! did you see on Belle on Heels' blog?? it was DELISH with zucchini if you like it.