I am still thinking about it at 2:26 pm, a full 19 hours later. I am counting the hours until I can go home and eat some more kugel. This cannot be healthy.
Nor can eating it straight from the pan, hastily trying to smooth the edges before your roommate gets home so no one can judge you for the sheer volume of what you ate, be healthy.
Noodle kugel, for those of you not in the know, is a traditionally Jewish sweet casserole made with egg noodles. My grandmother always made hers with canned fruit, which I never liked, but you can also use dried fruit or fruit nectar. Picture below: This is not a picture of the kugel I made, because then I would be forced to show you how much of it I ate and I don't want my readers to judge me.

*image from Google*
Up until last year, I didn't think I liked kugel all that much, having primarily been exposed to the canned fruit version of my youth. But then I attended a Shabbat dinner at a friend's house and was gifted the recipe of the best. Kugel. I have ever had. Sorry Grandma.
Recipe below -- it actually comes from allrecipes.com, but I made a few changes, namely replacing the cornflake/butter topping with Vanilla Almond Special K and a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Apricot Noodle Kugel
Ingredients
Recipe below -- it actually comes from allrecipes.com, but I made a few changes, namely replacing the cornflake/butter topping with Vanilla Almond Special K and a dash of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Apricot Noodle Kugel
Ingredients
- 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Stir in egg noodles, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly mix egg noodles with 1/4 cup butter, cream cheese, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and vanilla. Stir in apricot nectar and milk. Mix in raisins. Transfer to the prepared baking pan.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix cornflake crumbs, 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar, remaining vanilla, and cinnamon. Spread over the egg noodle mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly browned.
1 comment:
Little B it was SOOO nice to meet you this weekend!!! I had the best time at Melissa's wedding. You (and all her friends) were sooo much fun!!! Many thanks for your sweet comment and I am thrilled to be your newest blog follower. Xoxo-BLC
Post a Comment